In 1922 eight freshmen women founded the first Greek letter organization on campus. As a local sorority Theta Sigma, remained a vital force on campus for 30 years. Then on March 22, 1952, Theta Sigma was installed as the Delta Lambda Chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity for Women. Our chapter is considered Phi Mu's Centennial Chapter, as we were installed 100 years after the founding of our national organization. A total of 75 collegians and alumnae were initiated that day when the chapter was installed.
Installing officers included the National President, The Executive Secretary, District President, National Extension Director and collegians from Delta Alpha Chapter at Indiana University, Delta Epsilon Chapter at Purdue University and Rho Chapter at Hanover College. The President of Evansville College, (later became University of Evansville) Dr. Lincoln R. Hale gave the address at the banquet held in the Great Hall of McCurdy Union Building following the ceremonies.
The members of Delta Lambda Chapter of Phi Mu have brought qualities of friendship, loyalty and dedication to the chapter, the campus, community and to alumnae chapters across the nation. We are pleased that so many of our alumnae have gone on to serve our chapter and other chapters throughout the nation as Alumnae Chapter Officers, Advisers, Housing Corporation Members, District, Area, and National Officers, Executive Director of Phi Mu Fraternity, Phi Mu Foundation Trustee and as a member of the National Council of Phi Mu Fraternity.
A strong and lasting connection of over 94 years - the first thirty as Theta Sigma - and 64 as Phi Mu lives on in the strength of our bond. This past year we celebrated our 65th year as a Phi Mu Chapter at a reunion celebration in October. Collegians and alumnae from across the country returned to celebrate sisterhood, loyalty to Phi Mu, and dedication to our chapter.